Monday, March 4, 2013

Person Behind the Name

"You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." ~Deuteronomy 5:11

I've often meditated on what God meant when He commanded us not to use His name in vain or misuse His name. I've attacked this from a few angles, one being my taking of my husband's name without it making a change in my life or behavior. When I was born-again as a child of God, I was given His name in much the same way. If there is no fruit of the Spirit in my life, no change of my life and behavior because I've taken His name, Perhaps that was what it meant to take it in vain.

There was, of course, the more common way to look at it. Why does it prick me when someone uses "Jesus Christ" as a swear word? I've started to say, "You should talk about someone you know..." It makes them think about the person behind the name.

I've also thought about ways people misuse it for financial gain or influencing and controlling others. I guess it boils down to motive. What is my motive for using the Lord's name?

Today, I'm praising the Lord's name! In the sunshine~ no less... :D



No comments:

Post a Comment