Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Called By Name

Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?" (John 20)

The horror of watching someone you love being crucified must've been fresh in the mind of this woman. Here was a man that she had felt safe with. One that understood the anguish of her being and had cleansed and healed the very wounds of her heart. She had quietly poured his wine and worked with the others to provide for his needs. She had rejoiced at the miracles and been filled with joy at his teaching. Now she stood faced with an empty tomb and a man she assumed was the gardener asking her why she was crying and whom she was looking for. It's interesting that she doesn't tell him. She must've assumed the gardener would know. She says, "Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away." Basically, give Him to me!

For awhile, I wondered why she didn't recognize that it was Jesus speaking. Then I recalled that he'd been beaten, had his beard pulled out, a crown of thorns shoved on his head and scourged beyond recognition. What she was seeing was a scarred-faced man and I'm sure there were many of them in Jerusalem at that time.

Jesus said to her, "Mary!" That was it. She knew His voice when He said her name. I can just feel the excitement as she exclaims, "TEACHER!" I would be inclined to follow that with hugs, laughter and joyful tears if I had been her and I think that's what she did. I find the fact that she didn't recognize Him when He called her "woman", or the sound of His voice when He asked her why she was weeping and whom she was seeking, something to puzzle over. Perhaps it was the WAY He said her name that was so familiar. I like to think that He always said it sincerely pleased to see her!

Today, I'm praying for those who need to recognize the voice of Jesus calling thier name.   

No comments:

Post a Comment