Friday, March 8, 2013

Current Blessings

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

I remember a time when our family was down at the river throwing rocks and watching them skip across to the other side. It was a beautiful sunny day and we were seeking out the whitest rocks we could find to take home. We did that every where we went. I sat on the beach watching my husband toss our children around in the water and I should've been filled with content, yet I wasn't.

I was filled with fear for my children and the earth that they would inherit. I had allowed the horror stories on the pages of the newspaper to paralyze me with dread. What would become of my precious offspring? My babies.

The current in the river tumbled over the rocks and around fallen trees. I spotted movement on the opposite shore and there stood a doe. She was casually nibbling while keeping a weary eye on where the rocks were splashing in the water. Otherwise, she seemed totally unfazed by our prescence.

We watched each other for a good ten minutes before a canoe with two frazzled riders came around the riverbend. The boaters navigated thier vessel through the rapids and into the calm current but still maintained thier frantic pace. They passed within a foot of that deer and didn't even see her. One of them almost hit her with an oar- she was that close. Wow. What a huge blessing they missed out on, I thought.

That's when that still small voice of God whispered to me that I was like those boaters. He said, "You are so busy needlessly fighting the current that you have been missing the blessings. Be still and know I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Today, I pray for all those who need a reminder that God WILL be exalted, so don't sweat it. Relax and look for the blessings that surround you!

No comments:

Post a Comment