Friday, March 22, 2013

Joyfully Alone

"And when Jesus had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there." ~Matthew 14

This glimpse into the person of Jesus has always warmed my heart. He sends the disciples away by boat so he can dismiss the crowd that had gathered. They had all just had a sit-down dinner of bread and fish and were heading home, possibly with left-overs. What a meal that must've been!

What warms my heart the most though is the image of Jesus going from group to group personally dismissing the crowd. I'll bet He heard all thier names and not a family had been left untouched. I imagine He tousled children's hair and hugged gangly teenagers. I'll bet He talked fishing, farming, and carpentry as easily as the deep mysteries of eternal life, prophecy and parables. Indeed, He wove them together as object lessons for future generations. As an observer, I would've been taken by His laugh and drawn strength from His joy. For I doubt that it was with a heavy heart that He went up the mountain to pray! 

"These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and your joy may be full." ~Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment