Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hope For Harvest

And Jesus said, "The kingdom of God is as if a man should scatter seed on the ground, and should sleep by night and rise by day, and the seed should sprout and grow, he himself does not know how."

Seeds fascinate me. Every year when I prepare my soil for the seeds, it causes me to ponder this verse in Mark. I know that if I plant a lettuce seed, lettuce will grow. I know that if I plant carrot seeds too deep, they won't grow. I've learned that zucchini seeds do best planted on a mound. Seeds need soil, sun and water in the right proportions. They need to be planted at specific times of the year to be fruitful. I know a lot about cultivation but one thing I marvel at is how can those little seeds contain all that material? Food for me from God.

Jesus compares the kingdom of God to scattering seeds. Indeed, I can see the truth in that. Just as when I plant my garden, it takes time before I see those sprouts. I don't know how the seeds grow but I can definitely see the growth and I rejoice with the angels! 

"And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together." ~Jesus

Today, I'm rejoicing and singing, "Bringing in the Sheaves"...

No comments:

Post a Comment