Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Consuming Fire

"For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God." Deuteronomy 4:24

I find myself mulling over the attributes of fire every day as I heat my house and cook my food with flames. This verse and it's parallel passage in Hebrews are always brought to mind. The element demands respect. Use it wisely and carefully or pay the consequences. It amazes me that unseen heat can take form into such a spectacular dance of dangerous color. You can never get complacent with fire, you will get burnt.

I'm facinated by the imagery of my God being a consuming fire. It makes me think about Moses and the burning bush that wasn't being consumed and about Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah dancing around in the furnace with the Lord until Nebuchandnezzar called them out. They didn't even smell like smoke. It's comforting to know that God is in control of what is consumed and what isn't. (Exodus 3), (Daniel 3)

The imagery of Elijah taunting the Baal priests always comes to mind too. How awe-inspiring it must've been to see fire come down out of heaven and consume the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil as well as lick up 12 large jars of water that had filled a trench after being poured over the sacrifice... Poof, gone! (1Kings 18)

Today, I'm asking the Lord to teach me what it means to fear Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment