Monday, May 20, 2013

The Noble Character

"Give her the reward she has earned and let her works bring her praise at the city gates." ~King Lemuel

Many women have been discouraged instead of encouraged by the description of the wife of noble character in Proverbs 31. They march down the to-do list with a skeptical eye on their own shortcomings and come away with the feeling they will never measure up. Sure, they get up early and feed the kids but their children have never once called them blessed! They make sure everyone's warm and keep everyone dressed but, you know, they have snacked on the bread of idleness. Yeah, they hug the poor and give to the needy but they don't wear purple linen. Sheesh! It's enough to make a woman throw her strong arms in the air and go plant a vineyard!

I read these verses at a devotion I did at a bridal shower yesterday. The bride is one of the most beautiful women I know, inside and out. I have prayed for her through many extremely difficult times in her life and have watched her handle trying situations with utmost grace. I know that she will be a wife of noble of character. She is worth far more than rubies to her groom and judging by the way he looks at her; he knows it. He knows he will lack nothing of value and that she will bring him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

I read Proverbs 31:10-31 as the only way I could really express how valuable this woman is in a way that his Mother would understand. I'd witnessed her hard work and her quiet strength. She's always carried herself with dignity. There were times I was amazed at her self control. I pray that one day her husband will praise her for her gentle spirit and her children will rise up and tell her how beautiful she is! I pray that she will have open ears to hear those praises and blessings and that her heart will overflow with joy.

Ladies, instead of reading those verses focused on what you DON'T do, focus on what you DO!

"He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord." ~Solomon



No comments:

Post a Comment