Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Selfish Love Song

"My lover spoke and said to me, 'Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me.'" ~Solomon

I always get swept off my feet when I read the Song of Songs. It's such a romantic and provocative poem. The story is rich with pleasure for all the senses. It's a frolic with a lover and a yearning of a beloved for thier lover. I find myself immersed in the sheer playfulness of this couple. They are captivated by love. All they talk about with thier friends has to do with thier love. They sneak off to the vineyard to be together and gush over how handsome and beautiful they are. The typical love song!

There's so much talk about the end of the world. Fear of everything ending at once has replaced the fear of individual death. I was pondering this and thinking about the teaching of a "rapture". When I realized that I wanted Jesus to come just for me. I mean, if I'm to go with everyone else, I won't complain but I'd rather he come just for me and sing something romantic like, "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me." Then, I felt guilty and wondered if that was a selfish prayer.

It wasn't long before I was given the oppurtunity to ask a seasoned saint about whether or not my prayer was selfish. As is my custom, I laid out my desire in dramatic fashion to this dear woman in the waiting room of the doctor's office. Complete with a recital of verses from the Song of Songs and quotes from Jesus, I gushed on with the enthusiasm of a shakepearean actress. June sat with a smile on her face and nodded her head until I was done. Then she began to laugh and said, "I don't know if it's selfish or not but if I were you, I'd drive reeeeal safe on the way home or you just may get your wish!"

"You who dwell in the gardens with friends in attendance, let me hear your voice!" ~Solomon



No comments:

Post a Comment