Thursday, May 30, 2013

Overlooking Offenses

"A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." ~Solomon

Wisdom gives me patience. When I find myself getting irrationally irritated, I remind myself of this verse in Proverbs. There have been times when I've been behind someone at the supermarket checkout line and had to remind myself that it is to my glory to overlook the fact that they have more than fifteen items. Wisdom tells me that it won't take all that long and what I'm really losing is patience. I've had to recall this verse when the person behind me is clinging to my elbow too. I have to resist the urge to stomp on their toes or growl a nasty, "BACK OFF".  These are such minor offenses but I find that they give me practice at how to deal with the bigger ones in life that come along.

There are those that strive to offend others. I find that most the time, I have no idea when I've offended another. When someone gives me grace and overlooks an offense, I'm so blessed by their patience. I see the truth of this verse from the opposite angle. I'm given an example of what true glory is. It's not all pomp and circumstance, lights and powerful displays of might. It's a quiet patience that  forgives and loves without bounds regardless of the worthiness of the recipient. It's the self-control of wisdom.

"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions." ~Solomon

No comments:

Post a Comment