Monday, May 13, 2013

Planting Thoughts

"The mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God." ~Paul

It's all in my head. The battle is for the mind. What is meditated on is translates into actions which in turn become habit after 21 days. When there is no joy, hope, or peace in my life it doesn't surprise me to find that I've allowed my thoughts to meander back to the cares of this world. Out of habit, I begin to dwell on the negative and the seeds of sin sprout roots of discontent. It grows into discouragement and blossoms into depression. Depression sprinkles it's negative little seeds on the soil of my mind and the fears are multiplied like dandelions. It was a struggle for me to change my thought process. It doesn't come naturally to me to be controlled by the Spirit so I petitioned the Spirit to remind me when I'm getting out of control!

When I am smacked over the head with a scripture, it's usually because I've let my thought process wallow in the mud again. I've let the weeds get out of hand and the garden of my mind needs tending. It's then that I go to Jesus in prayer and ask Him to wash my feet and pull out the weeds. I pray that He will plant His word and cause it to grow by His Spirit to produce life and peace. I want to please God and if I allow myself to be controlled by my sinful nature, I'm warned that I can't. Besides, it's really no fun to be depressed. It's so much better to have love, joy, peace, patience, kindness. goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Especially,  knowing that the seeds of life and peace are in the fruit!

"Do not be deceived: A man reaps what he sows." ~Paul  

No comments:

Post a Comment