Thursday, May 16, 2013

Listen Up

"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." ~Jesus

Normally, I wouldn't post someone elses writing but I have a poem that I copied down on the inside cover of my Bible that I wanted to share. It's been my prayer over the years.

Lord,
Open my ears!
So much of what I read in your word speaks
Of the importance of hearing.
Wisdom demands it;
Righteousness requires it;
Understanding necessitates it.

I see so much of selective hearing.
Am I a selective listener?
Do I only hear what I want to?

Oh Father!
You know how I long to be
Wise,
Understanding,
Discerning.

Teach me to hear from people,
Experiences,
Expressions,
Tones from life...
With an openness of mind,
A totality of heart,
And an abandonment of my own preconceived
Ideas.

Help me to learn.
Teach me to open my ears and really hear.

~Carole Mayhall

I'm always reminded that God gave me 2 ears and only 1 mouth. Therefore, I should listen twice as much as I talk!

"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." ~Solomon


No comments:

Post a Comment