Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Stormy Wonders

"Listen to this, Job; stop and consider God's wonders." ~Elihu

Here's this poor man who had lost ten children, all his possessions, his health and the respect of his wife and he's told to stop and consider God's wonders. His turbulent thoughts were quieted by God speaking out of the storm. God speaks to the suffering in thier affliction and Job is reminded of that. Then the Lord begins to question him about every day wonders. His first question struck me as being harsh. "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?" God proceeds to show the man just how little he was. "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?" He draws Job's focus off of his afflictions and friends and dashes cold water on the fire of his indignation.

I've often meditated on the questions that God asked Job. The simple questions become profound. I've used them to talk to children for years. I especially like to see thier reaction and little minds tick when I ask them if they know the way to where light lives or where darkness resides. Does the rain have a father? Who fathers the drops of dew? Light, dark, water in every form, stars, clouds, and wild animals are all mentioned in these potent little droplets of glory. Job had no answers and I stand in awe!

"You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know." ~Job

No comments:

Post a Comment