Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thinning Food

"He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate- bringing forth food from the earth: wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart." ~David, King of Israel

There is something spiritual about being able to walk out your back door and pick a fresh salad straight off the land.  I marvel at the way our bodies are designed to work and feel a kinship with centuries of humanity when I'm working in the garden for food.

The most painful part of cultivating food for me is thinning the rows to get plants the correct distance apart. It hurts me to pull a taller, healthier plant and choose a smaller one to continue growing simply because it grew too close to it's neighbor or not where it belonged. I know it has to be done. I've been compassionate before and had some pretty twisted carrots! After the holocaust, the garden always looks weak and unhealthy to me but it's then that I know I can look forward to the harvest. I wonder if Eve ever felt that way...

Today, I'm thanking God for wine that gladdens my heart, oil that makes my face shine and the bread that sustains me!

No comments:

Post a Comment