Monday, February 11, 2013

Meaningless Money

"Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless." ~Solomon

There was a time in my life when all of my thoughts were centered around money. If I had some, I was focused on spending it. If I didn't have any, I was focused on making some. My devotions consisted of looking through a "Christian" wishbook and scheming for money to purchase that T-shirt that would surely be instrumental in leading the public to the knowledge of Jesus. My prayers were more of an appeal for money. "Oh Lord, if you would just let me win the lottery, I would use the winnings to buy... and of course, I would give ten percent to the church!"

God never accepted my bargain. Instead, He started taking away income. I was laid off and my husband chose to take a huge decrease in pay and go back to an hourly position from his managerial one. Things got tight. Of course, I went to the Lord with my complaints. It was then that He commanded me to keep my life free from the love of money and be content with what I have, because He will never leave or forsake me. An attitude of gratitude had to replace my striving. I began to thank Him for everything I had instead of begging Him for the things I didn't have. It's amazing how just that tweek in my thought life produced joy and self control. It even opened up the floodgates of Heaven and I've been blessed beyond all I could imagine.




No comments:

Post a Comment