Thursday, February 21, 2013

Final Foot Washing

"Now that I , your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet." ~Jesus

This always reminds me of  being allowed to work alongside a hospice nurse to wash the feet of an elderly friend of mine just before she passed through the veil into glory. She was fragile and her skin was translucent and dry as parchment. I knew that touching her brought pain and I so desperately didn't want to hurt her. I lifted her leg and drew the washcloth gently across her foot. She kept jerking her foot back over and over again. I looked with pleading eyes at the hospice nurse, certain I was doing more harm than good. "Oh, I'm soooo sorry I'm hurting you!" I cried. She chuckled softly, "You're not hurting me, child! You're tickling me!"  We burst into giggles. Leave it to me to tickle someone on thier deathbed... sheesh.

"Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." ~Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment