Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Building Something Big

"And He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom and understanding, in knowledge and all manner of workmanship." Exodus 35:31

If there was ever an artist that I would've liked to have worked with, or just watched him work, it would be this guy. Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. Exodus goes into intimate detail of all the work he did and for a long time I would slog my way through the numbers and yawn my way through all the weavings. Yeah, yeah, fifty loops on the outer edge.. blah, blah, blah... until one day, it came alive.

Sometimes just a small tweek in my lenses, so to speak, can make a big diffence in the way I perceive things. When I was reading all the details of his craftmanship, I had focused on the articles he was making. I always tried to imagine the tent, curtains, lamps, and altar but have been bogged down by the itsy bitsy details. Obviously, Moses was fascinated with them. What I chose to do was reread the passage and focus on the people. The community that pulled together to build a place to worship.

The women weaving together, the men pounding gold and cutting wood. The sounds of work. I'll bet they sang, gossiped, laughed and cried together during those times. I can imagine the joy these artisans felt when they saw the cloud covering the tabernacle of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filling it.

Today, I'm praying for the carpenters and artists! May they be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment