Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sparkles and Treasure

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." ~Jesus

Jewelry. It flashes in the light, draws the eye and gives any outfit a touch more class. For many years, my family would give me gold, diamonds and gems for every occasion. Each piece held a special place in my affections. I love watching the rings flash as I work in the garden or hear the bracelets softly chime while I scrub the bathroom. I was devastated when I came home from work one day to find that we'd been robbed. All my memories, all my jewels. Gone.

I wanted vengence. So I went to the Lord and told Him that. I said, "Okay, you know who did this and you can hit them hard! I want them squished! I want them dead and burning!" Oh, I can be very dramatic when angry. The Lord was quiet during my rants but He reassured me several times.

"Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but give place to wrath; for it is written, 'Vengence is Mine, I will repay,' says the Lord. (Romans 12:19) Oh, they were in for it. It wasn't long though before He quieted my ire and showed me that this had to be done for MY growth.

"... lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. ~Jesus

To Jesus, these thieves were treasure. He knew them, loved them and was allowing them to reap what they'd sown. The treasures of heaven are not gold, diamonds and gems but repentant sinners. I pray for those thieves a different prayer now. I pray they get a new life in Christ. It amazed me how fast my jewelry collection grew again. In a matter of months I had pearls, gold, diamonds and emeralds to adorn my t-shirts and jeans. More important though, I had a new focus on what true treasure really is.


No comments:

Post a Comment