Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Heaven's Scent

"For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." ~Paul

I've always thought that it would be easier to serve people if I didn't have a sense of smell. I could change unending diapers and clean up any rank mess if I didn't have to smell it. I am convinced. But yesterday, I realized what a wonderful gift my sense of smell is.

I got to the top of the hill after leaving the ferry and fell into the arms of my good friend, her intoxicating smell clung to my sweater. It's a delicate, earthy and exotic smell that is uniquely her. All day long, I felt enveloped in her simply because of the aroma. This morning the smell still lingers in my sweater and one whiff brought back years of memories with one more day added. The lingering scent made me realize how much I can miss when I only keep in contact with someone online.

I began to think of the many Sundays at church when I would get multiple hugs and come home wearing each persons' smell mingled with my own. Every waft would make me smile as I thought about the person it belonged to. We are the aroma of Christ to God. A beautiful perfume of mingled scents to those who are being saved. Just another blessing missed when I don't gather together with other believers!

Today, I'm imagining what Jesus smells like. I wonder if he has a musky wood smell mixed with the sweat of a carpenter. Perhaps he smells like the incense the magi presented to him at his birth. I know when I fall into his arms I will be engulfed in it, comforted by it and home forever. Ah... the smells of heaven!

"Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes; your name is perfume poured out. No wonder the maidens love you!" ~Solomon   

No comments:

Post a Comment