Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Avoiding the Net

"Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." ~Jesus

To be a person of my word is something I've aspired to for a long time because of this verse. I thought I was doing pretty good until this past weekend. My sin was laid bare before my eyes. Yuck. A friend asked for help unloading and stacking wood. I said, "No" when I should have said, "Yes". I found myself carrying on with some elaborate excuse for doing so. After she left, the Lord whispered, "What was that about?" My spirit squirmed a little and then answered, "A lie." Ugh, I'm sorry Lord.

I realized that I had already been planning on doing the same thing the next day. I had made a commitment and something more fun had presented itself. I had enthusiastically accepted the invitation and was already embroiled in how I was going to get out of my commitment. I had said, "Yes", when I should have said, "No". Seeing it for the trap it was didn't keep me from wrestling with it all night though. I'm a pro at justifying myself but God is a pro at tearing down my arguments. I relented and bowed out of the trip and did what I knew was right. I pray that the Lord will continue to reveal where I fall short in this. I really want my "yes" to be "yes" and my "no to be "no". No excuses!

"How useless to spread a net in full view of all the birds!" ~Solomon 

No comments:

Post a Comment