Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Adding Forget to Forgiveness

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." ~Jesus

I struggled with forgiveness for a long time. I could forgive but I just couldn't forget. I felt defeated and questioned my salvation. My countenance fell and even walking felt like slogging through fog. The more I tried to forget the more I remembered and the cycle would gain speed. In the midst of this self perpetuated storm the Holy Spirit stepped in and asked, "Why are you adding to my word?"

My spirit quickened. It was like a smoldering wick had been blown into flame as I read what the Bible had to say about forgetting. Most of it had to do with NOT forgetting. I was confused though. Weren't we to "forgive and forget" because God forgives us and forgets our sins? Isn't that part of loving others? I reread the attributes of love paying close attention to the word or concept of "forgetting". It says, "Love keeps no record of wrong." It does not say, "Love always forgets". I had bought into the world's idea of forgiveness and it had nothing to do with forgetting.

Forgive me, Lord! Thank you for showing me that I had heaped onto myself chains that I didn't need to carry!

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." 

No comments:

Post a Comment