Tuesday, October 15, 2013

City Boys

Jesus replied, "Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor."

Meditating on the relationship that Jesus had with his cousin John, it brought to mind family reunions and celebrations. I can picture the two of them as boys running through the streets of Jerusalem during the Passover and other holidays that the families were required by law to gather together. I can imagine the two of them playing games and talking long into the night while gazing up at the stars from an upper room. I'll bet they picked on each other and rough housed just like all boys. Laughing at gross bodily functions and carrying on about masculine endeavors. Male friendships are a fascinating and foreign world to me as a woman.   

I wonder if they went and visited old Anna in the temple or saw Simeon. I wonder if the shepherds kept track of him over the years. I know I would've if I had seen a great company of angels singing about him! I'm grateful for the silence of scripture concerning his childhood because I like to believe that Jesus had a happy childhood free from the scrutiny that his incredible life has been subject to over the centuries. I'm certain that he and John knew blind, lame and deaf people from just being kids running around during family gatherings. How wonderful for John to imagine them healed!

This is the one about whom it is written; " 'I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way before you.' "    ~Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment