Thursday, October 24, 2013

All Leaves

"May you never bear fruit again!" ~Jesus

Jesus was hungry and the fig tree was in leaf but there was no fruit. It was not the season for figs. He cursed it and it withered from the roots. I can't help but feel sorry for that fig tree. It's hard for me to get past the seemingly unfair curse. A shimmer of understanding has me mulling over the seasons and hints at a warning.

I've felt like a tree out of season lately. It's not the first time and I'm aware that just as the seasons change, my life changes in cycles also. The planting of Spring, the watering of Summer, the harvest of Fall and the quiet cold of Winter have woven themselves into the pattern of my life. Like that fig tree, I can be all leaves and no fruit though. Jesus said if I remain in him I will bear much fruit. I must preach the Word whether in season or out of season. How horrid to think of never bearing the fruit of the Spirit!

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither." ~David

No comments:

Post a Comment