Thursday, June 13, 2013

Romancing The Past

"Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?" Samaritan woman

When I look back at women in the Bible, this woman stands out to me. I  imagine her as an incurable romantic. One that cherished the solitude of her daily walk to the well, she went to the ancient one and not the more populated. To preserve that alone time, she went later than most. There's something mystical about historical places and I know how she could have felt drawn to the mountain and the link to her past as she made her way down well worn paths. I wonder if she hummed or sang to herself, laughed out loud at silly thoughts or just spent the trip in quiet contemplation.

I'll bet she mulled over the stories past down through the words of the men she knew. The romantic story of Jacob removing the stone to help Rachel water the flocks must have teased her mind every day on those paths. The very stones themselves would've been witness to many lovers. I wonder if she secretly longed to one day show up and find her life's love waiting at the well just as Rachel had. The Lord certainly didn't disappoint her!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." ~David

No comments:

Post a Comment