Friday, June 21, 2013

Honoring Kings

"I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor." ~David

When I picture the scene in 2 Samuel when the ark of God is finally brought to Jerusalem, it's always the joy of King David that stands out. It's really a shame that his wife, Michal, couldn't bring herself to enjoy the festivities. She watched from a window as the crowd milled around, dancing, praising God and offering sacrifices. She missed out on the joy of passing out the bread, dates and raisin cakes to every person in the crowd. I adore David for his generosity to his people.

David wasn't a king to sit on a throne hovering over the festivities, he was a man that joined in! He danced with all his might in front of his Lord and his friends. I wonder how many of those slave girls that Michal complained about had washed his feet. How many of them had stood in the shadows and listened to him sing when he was a young shepherd boy brought in for Saul's entertainment.

This prophecy of his came true. He became more undignified and humiliated as his reign continued. I'm certain though that those slave girls, concubines, queens and kids held this vision of a king who was not afraid to bless his people by worshiping with them and hosting a party!

"May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you rule the peoples justly and guide the nations of the earth." ~David 

No comments:

Post a Comment