Friday, June 14, 2013

Happily At Work

"I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw.." ~Solomon

In the twenty-fourth chapter of Proverbs, Solomon goes past the field and vineyard of a sluggard who lacked judgement. Thorns had sprouted up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds and the stone wall was in ruins. He applied his heart to what he saw and concluded that a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest- and poverty will come on you like a vagrant and scarcity like a beggar.

There are places that I pass while driving through my neighborhood that bring these verses to life for me. I see thorny whips of blackberries snaking their way around un-mended fences and established apple trees being choked by weeds. Their fruit left to rot on the ground at their feet. It makes me sad to think that these people can't or won't take care of their property. Such a waste. Poverty and scarcity slowly but surely will ooze into their lives. I too, apply my heart to what I observe and learn a lesson from what I see. Everything needs to be tended. So, off I go to weed my garden!

"Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work- this is a gift of God." ~Solomon



No comments:

Post a Comment