Monday, August 26, 2013

Silly Prayers

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." ~Jesus

Praying with my young son once, he told Jesus he wanted to see some little birds. At the time, I thought it was a silly prayer as I prayed for much more "lofty" things. You know, salvation for the world, the end of hunger in my community, cure for cancer and all the other more "ecclesiastical" and "big" things.

A couple hours later, my three year old was standing on the couch looking out the window and giggling with glee. I sauntered over to see what he was so entertained by and there in the bushes not more than two feet from the picture window was a flock of the tiniest birds I'd ever seen. They were twirling around branches, fluttering at each other and pecking at berries. Primping and posturing, they put on a show that kept us in giggles for at least half of an hour. My heart rang with love for my heavenly Father who answers our prayers. I asked my son if he had thanked the Lord for his birds and he said, "Oh yeah, a long time ago." I joined him in thanksgiving and joyful praise!

Through this simple answer, I learned that no prayer is silly to God. I've prayed for a cat not to pee on the stove (again... or Dad will kill it!) and the end of a mole problem. I've prayed for the cure for funky smells in furniture and for sunshine to cure the blues. I've also seen people cured of cancer, others snatched from hell, and my community feed the hungry. No prayer is too small or too big for God. Certainly, no prayer is silly!

"See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. for I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven." ~Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment