Thursday, August 22, 2013

Seeing Miracles

Jesus answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah."

I befriended a single mother who was working and going to school. Her life was one crisis after another and it seemed that I was constantly praying for her and her financial situation. At one point, she was actually making ends meet and feeling like she'd made it when her car broke down. She needed money to fix it. She told me she needed a miracle. I told her we needed to pray and she rolled her eyes. I prayed anyway and she received an unexpected bonus in the exact amount of the bill for the repairs on her vehicle. When I explained to her that God loves her and that Jesus was calling her, her response floored me. She sighed dramatically and said, "If only he would show me a miracle, then I would believe in him." Unable to contain myself I replied flatly, "Oh, the money wasn't enough?"

What sort of miracle would it take for a person to realize that God is real and unavoidable? How much answered prayer does it take? What a loving God I serve that continues to hold out holy hands to obstinate and blind people! I'm still praying for a miracle in my friend's life and it has nothing to do with the miracle itself and everything to do with eternity.

"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.'" ~Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment