Thursday, August 15, 2013

One Word Lies

"Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'no,' 'no'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." ~Jesus

Why is this such a struggle? What makes it so hard to say what you mean and mean what you say? I catch myself all the time saying "yes" when my head is telling me "that's a no".  So out sneaks the one word lie. The problem with these one word lies is that they bring needless trouble to my life and unnecessary guilt. My body and my spirit were not created to bear guilt. Guilt entered the world with the act of disobedience in the garden of Eden. Guilt builds walls not only between us and God but between us and each other. It's a crippling emotion that can be hard to overcome so I choose to heed the words of Jesus and simply say what I mean and mean what I say.

It gets easier and easier to avoid planting that seed in my life. I still haven't gotten it completely right all the time but I'd rather practice integrity and repent when need be than feel guilty. The wall between me and God came down when Jesus took my guilt off me. I hadn't realized how heavy it had been and I certainly would rather not pick it up again! Especially, with one word.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." ~Jesus  

No comments:

Post a Comment