Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Empty Worship

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." ~David

In my private worship time today, my voice was steady and I didn't miss a chord. The words flowed and the music was a treat to play. When time was up, I set my guitar down, put away the music and left the room to get busy. It was halfway through a chore that I felt like something was missing. That still small voice in my spirit said, "What you did was not worship".

What I had done was practice my playing and singing. My mind had not been on God or even the words that I was singing. Thoughts were of how good it sounded and what chores I should be doing and just about every thing else but him. I had not  been worshiping in spirit and truth. I had performed a good concert for my own entertainment.

Going back to my guitar, I went straight to the throne of God. I joined in the song of every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them and I sang to him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb. I sang the words of Revelation and gave him praise, honor, glory and power in, over and for my life. When I put down the guitar and went off to finish my chores, the music didn't stop. Praises and hymns just kept streaming past my heart and out my mouth. God had renewed my spirit and restored the joy of my salvation just like I asked him to! How cool is that?

"God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." ~Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment