Monday, April 29, 2013

Seeking Truth

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." ~Paul

Once again, I've been reminded that my spiritual relationship with God is my own responsibility. It is up to me to know what I believe and why I believe it. I can't rely on clever sayings or feel good posters to give me the hard truths of being human. My preacher, mentor, friend or parent are not going to be my lawyer at the judgement seat of Christ. I won't be able to point a finger at my spouse and say, "It was the spouse you gave me".  That didn't work for Adam so I'm certain it won't work for me!

I want to be a gleaner of truth. I try to isolate everything that claims to be of or about God and examine it through the lens of scripture to see if it has any value for my life. Not that I want to point a finger and accuse others of heresy but I guard my heart diligently against lies. My heart is the wellspring of life. I'm deeply aware of the fact that I can be deceived easily and nothing slurps the joy and peace out of my spirit quicker than believing lies. Especially, lies about the one I claim as my God.

Testing or questioning teachings and even my own thoughts has become an opportunity for me to learn more about Jesus. Challenges to my preconceived ideas have resulted in the past with abundant blessings. I don't need to defend God but I do need to know him. Therefore, I seek him in the words of the Bible, in prayer and in fellowship. I ask him for wisdom and believe that I have it. I seek God and know that I've found him. I've seen the doors of heaven open at a knock of my imagination. What a day of rejoicing it will be when I get there! Until then though, the trial continues and the judgement awaits me. There is a side of me that fears it as a child fears disappointing a parent but mostly I'm looking forward to seeing the face of my king on his throne and bowing before my God while immersed in his glory!     

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." ~Jesus



No comments:

Post a Comment