Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Brighten the Future

"Do not say, 'Why were the old days better than these?' For it is not wise to ask such questions." ~Solomon

Ahhh... the good old days. To live in the past and compare it to the present is not wise. I realized that if someone was asking this question, it meant that they were focused on the negative things in the times that they live in and the positive things of the past. Questions like that make me wonder about motives. Is it to draw attention to the hard times they're having? Is it to inspire the envy of a new generation that would never experience the world the same way? Perhaps to pass judgement on society as a whole because it will just never be as honest, fun loving, open, rich or fit as back in their days? One thing was certain though, they were living in the past, wasting the present and ignoring the future. Very unwise!

How easily I can be led down that foolish path. I don't want to go there. I want to live in the present with my eyes forward. I want to say, "Yes, the old days were great. Today is still unfolding and I see the beauty in it too. Tomorrow is a promise that I hope to brighten by what I do today. I want to love each person I come into contact with and perhaps influence the times we live in, one day at a time and one person at a time. Not by beating them over the head with the past but by giving them hope and inspiration for today and their future.

"When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future." ~Solomon

No comments:

Post a Comment