Monday, April 22, 2013

Fading Focus

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." ~Peter

As a woman, I can really fall into the trap of spending my time on my outward appearance. Not only have I spent a lot of time on my appearance, I've spent a lot of money on it. I enjoy looking nice and believe that as God's gift to my husband, it's my job to take care of myself but problems arose when that became my focus. Getting my hair done, having that jewelry, pumping iron and coveting fine clothes replaced playing with my husband, laughing with the children, and staying within a budget. I had to step back and try to give as much time to my inner self as I did my outer self. A real eye opener!    

It took awhile before I realized how fast outward beauty fades. Clothes wear out, jewelry grows wings, and hair turns gray. I didn't realize how fast children grow or how time would sap enthusiasm. I'm so very grateful that God was working in those times on an inner beauty. The Spirit was gently but firmly at work for years. My husband and I are grandparents now. He tells me every night that he loves me, he's proud to be my man, and I'm beautiful. I still work to stay as attractive as I can for him not only outwardly but inwardly now as well. God gives good gifts!

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." ~King Lemuel 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment