Friday, April 5, 2013

Do Tell

"Return home and tell how much God has done for you." So the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him. ~Luke

It's fascinating to think about all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asking Jesus to leave them. They were afraid of him because he had healed the town madman. This guy was scary! Naked, dirty and tortured, this man threw himself down on the ground in front of Jesus and screamed at the top of his lungs, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don't torture me!" Poor soul. The man was being tortured by demons and those demons were begging not to be tortured. Still a scary scene!

Jesus knew that demons were responsible and commands them to come out but the thing that causes me to well with love for Him is how He simply asks the guy his name. The demons answer with thiers and go on to beg for mercy but I believe that question struck a cord with the man. Had he forgotten who he was apart from the demons? Did he even remember his given name? 

Those people asked Jesus to leave so He did, but he left a seed of the Kingdom among them. A candle in the dark to remind them of His love. I often wonder if this man's mother praised God for the return of the son she'd named. Was his father happy to see him? Did he have a wife and kids? Scripture is silent on these questions. It doesn't even name him, which I find merciful. He was given a new life and sent home to talk about that life! Perhaps, he was given a new name too. 

"...and I will also write on him my new name." ~Jesus  



No comments:

Post a Comment