Thursday, July 4, 2013

Valued Freedom

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. ~Paul

Freedom. The very word conjures up images of carefree romps through idyllic fields of wildflowers and sunshine. Every time I hear the word, that's the default thought that flits by in my mind. I'll chase that butterfly through memories of heat-soaked days in mountain meadows and along river banks. But today the butterfly landed. I zeroed in on it and wondered what freedoms I value.

I came to the conclusion that the freedom I value most is the freedom of a clear conscience before God. It can never be taken away. God will never leave me or forsake me. He loves me. That freedom for me cost Jesus everything. It was free for me. To feel the drag of guilt is heavier than trying to run in mud-caked boots. When I confess to him, he washes my feet and sends me back out to the meadows and mountains to sing among the wildflowers and chase butterflies!

"You, my brothers, were called to be free." ~Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment