Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Believing the Basics

"I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?" ~Paul

I received the Spirit in an irrepressible rush. Some people are born again slowly and why not? Our physical births are all as different as our rebirths into eternity. However, I know I did not receive the Spirit by observing the law. I didn't even know all of the six-hundred and thirteen laws of the old Testament, let alone had never broken any!

When I began to read the Bible after I received the Spirit, it was clear that there was no way I hadn't done at least one of those things forbidden in the law and as for doing the "do's"? Yeah, right! I had never sacrificed a single lamb! I began to become critical of myself and scrutinized my life to find the "hidden sins" so I could make it up to God. What a waste of time. I found myself frustrated by my lack of self control and would try harder, to no avail. It wasn't long before I became myopic. My thoughts on the evil in my life nibbled away at the fruit of the Spirit. I had begun in the Spirit but was stumbling along by my own efforts.

It was then that the Spirit led me back to basics. How did you receive the Spirit? What did you hear that you believed? I received the Spirit by believing that what I heard about Jesus was true. He is the Lord and he came back to life, folded up the linen grave clothes, wiped off the myrrh and spices and walked out of the burial cave and went to find his friends!

"Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?" ~Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment