Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Foreign Fatherhood

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust." ~David


Every child born is a peek into the heart of God. I can remember being pregnant and watching my midsection tousle around like a hyperactive organ and being saddened by the thought that the minute my child enters the world, the letting go begins. I was acutely aware that I would never be as close to my babies as I was when they were little mysteries growing inside of me. Being a mother taught me a lot about love and letting go but I think that the most important lesson it taught me was not about motherhood but about fatherhood. 

Fatherhood will always be foreign to me. Anything that is not female is outside my sphere of possible experiences; Therefore, I watched my children's father and his relationship with our children closely. I wanted to see how a father's love is different from mine in order to better understand God's love for me. He was so kind to them yet firm. He was so much stronger than they were yet he remembered that they were much smaller and needed special gentleness. He knew their strengths and protected their weaknesses. He loved them in the way that only another father can truly understand. I'm grateful that God revealed himself to me through my husband in such a profound way.

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father." ~Jesus

    

No comments:

Post a Comment