Monday, July 1, 2013

Shifting Heart

"Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward..." ~Jesus

There was a time when I longed to be a prophet. I read books with fairytale-eyes and saw kings seeking out the wisdom of  old and scholarly saints who sat on  giant cushions in billowing tents. They were always surrounded by a faint and mystical aura of color. Oh, how I longed to be that patient and wise seer that spoke pearls of wisdom to a spell-bound audience. Have you ever learned to thank God for not giving you the desire of your heart? For saying, "No. That's not who I made you."? I know I have. God's will for me is so much better. I think Jesus laughed out loud at those childish thoughts. I didn't want to be a prophet of God, I wanted to be a Pharisee!

It wasn't until I crawled into the skin (so to speak) of Elijah that I went to the Lord and told him that I think I made a grave mistake by ever wanting to be a prophet. Can I change that? Kings didn't consult him, they hunted him. He didn't put on shows, he sent a leper to wash up. He didn't sleep on cushions, he slept in caves and under trees. He was God's voice of judgment and they are always under attack. The desires of my heart slowly shifted. I no longer wanted to be a great and mighty prophet. I wanted to be like the widow that made her last cake of flour and oil for Elijah. I wanted to be like the woman that set aside a room for him when he was harried and needed rest. A sanctuary for a weary man. I now desire to serve and not be served. I'm so grateful that God knows me better than I know myself!

"Answer me, O Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, O Lord, are God and that you are turning their hearts back again." ~Elijah





No comments:

Post a Comment