Monday, July 15, 2013

Catering Respect

"A kindhearted woman gains respect, but ruthless men gain only wealth." ~Solomon

A vision of Abigail working away in the kitchen of Nabal's house came to mind this morning when I read this verse. I can almost hear the conversation between her and the servant about her husband hurling insults at David's men. I can feel the tension stirring in her as she wrestled with what needed to be done. (Samuel's first book, chapter 25- Great story...)

Abigail lost no time and gathered together what I'm sure must have been months in the making. She took two hundred loaves of bread, two skins of wine, five dressed sheep, five bushels of roasted grain, a hundred raisin cakes and two hundred cakes of pressed figs, loaded it onto a caravan of donkeys, and sent it off with servants. Then she prepared herself and followed after the food to plead for the lives of her family, friends and servants. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't have that kind of food just sitting around!

Abigail catered two parties that night. At one she saved the lives of all that were present at the other completely unbeknownst to them. All the servants knew though and I'm certain they loved her for it. What an amazing woman.

"He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun." ~David 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment