Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Smashing An Idol

"Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. this too is meaningless." ~Solomon

Money. The love of it permeates our society like a metastasizing cancer. It has become an idol of gruesome proportion in our world today. Lives are consumed by it and creativity is enslaved by it. Otherwise, honest people are tempted by it and its virtues are hurled at children with every red "SALE" sign flashed before us. Money is the very seed of discontent which sprouts into crippling covetousness. Our prayers become a Christmas list for the lap of Santa instead of a conversation with a living God. "Oh Lord, won't you buy me..." is sung in stinging mockery.   

Nothing quenches the fire of the Holy Spirit in me as quickly as the allure of more money. It's a trap that lies open before me all day long. It steals my thoughts and consumes my attention like a black hole. How foolish to waste time thinking about what I would do with lottery winnings when I'm not budgeting out the little that HAS been given to me. How impossible to be content with what I have when I'm bombarded by the things I could have if only I'd work harder, commit more time or "invest" in tickets and coupons. Slipping down the path that leads away from abundant everyday living and onto the imaginary road of the "if-onlys". I have noticed that the elusive carrot dangling in front of me changes with circumstances and is always replaced by another once it's obtained. A chasing after the wind. Lord, help me to redirect my focus and live and give instead of wish and mope! Help me to take pleasure in taking care of what I do have and not pine away for more things that will take my attention away from the true riches of life! 

"Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint." ~Solomon

No comments:

Post a Comment