Thursday, September 19, 2013

Selling At Church

"Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father's house into a market!" ~Jesus

A young family joined our church and enthusiastically began attending studies and volunteering for ministry. Since I attended Ladies Bible Study with the young mother, we struck up a conversation and enjoyed each other's company. One afternoon, she invited me to her home for lunch. I followed her to a small, well-maintained home in the woods and helped her unpack the small children and lug in the paraphernalia that accompanies having toddlers.

Glancing around the modest home's interior, there was no signs of the faith they proclaimed. The Spirit within me flinched when I spotted multiple products of a particular pyramid-type business. In the bathroom while washing my hands with a soap that only this company sold, I asked the Lord to make it as obvious to people entering my home that I'm a Christian and love Him as it was that this woman was going to pitch me "The Business".

Sure enough, conversation centered around "The Business" over bowlfuls of spaghetti. I'm pretty good at artfully tip-toeing around touchy subjects so halfway through the meal, she was forced to drive the sales pitch home. My stomach dropped as my suspicions were confirmed. I told her I was sorry but I would never  join anything like that. Thanks for thinking about me and I would really like to remain friends. After all, we were friends before the invitation and I would hate to see that end. Her continence fell and I received a cold assurance. As we said our goodbyes, I knew it would be the last time I would be enjoying her company.

It wasn't long after that she showed up at my door in tears. It seemed that her and her husband had gotten a visit from the pastor and a deacon. They had informed them that there was to be no recruiting for "The Business" done within the church body. She sobbed as she defended "The Business", "We sing hymns there and have friends and we can make lots of money!" She kept repeating. I told her with what I hoped was love that her and her husband had a choice to make then. They choose to leave the church and pursue "The Business" down in Texas. I pray for them often.

I was left with a deep and abiding gratitude to God for my pastor and the church body that I am a part of. The fact that they would confront members to make sure that no error snuck into our theology made my appreciation for the church leadership soar. It was the first time that I was made fully aware of the importance of church discipline. It left me knowing I was loved because love always protects! There is no selling allowed at our church and although it may sound harsh, it's very necessary. It's our Father's house not a market.

"Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." ~Paul         

No comments:

Post a Comment