Monday, November 11, 2013

Fine Wine

"By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?" ~Jesus

I've been asked if I've studied literature of various religions to make sure that I can vehemently battle the false doctrine that abound in them. The question usually comes with a barrage of books that I must read to make sure I'm equipped for this mission of judgment. I find it hard to believe that they weren't studying truth but were focused on error. Religious faultfinders, they never preach Jesus but instead parrot the  beliefs of the celebrity du jour. Like thorn bushes and thistles, I want to avoid getting caught up in them.

I don't study anything other than the Bible when it comes to spiritual matters. I drink in what the Holy Spirit supplies through the word. Jesus said the Spirit would take what is his and make it known to me and he does. If I'm puzzled by something, it's a joy to dive into the Hebrew and Greek and try to unravel the profound yet simple mysteries. It's like fine wine.

If someone drinks nothing but fine wine and a substitute is set before them, it's recognized for what it is. It's the same with false doctrine. If I'm immersed in the word of God, when a substitute is set before me, I recognize it for what it is. I'm often surprised when the Spirit raises a red flag by marching a verse through my head but I always take heed and guard my heart. He loves me and love always protects.

"Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire." ~Jesus   

No comments:

Post a Comment