Thursday, January 16, 2014

Why Cry?

The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman' for she was taken out of man." For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.


My husband had a knee replaced yesterday. It was during the preparations for the surgery that I realized just how "one flesh" he and I are. I had to laugh when it dawned on me that every time a needle was stuck in his arm, I winced. When the stethoscope was placed on his back, I drew in the deep breaths right along with him. When they wheeled him out of sight, I held back the tears until I was safely in the car on the way home. I felt like I had left the best part of myself entrusted to doctors.


Pouring out my fears to the Lord in a deluge, the Spirit quietly waited for me to finish laying out all my cares before Him. Then He asked, "Why are you crying?" I was taken aback. Why WAS I crying? Immediately, the words from the maskil of the Sons of Korah came singing into my mind. I was not entrusting my man to doctors: I had prayerfully placed him in the capable hands of his creator and savior. My God!


"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my savior and my God." ~Sons of Korah











No comments:

Post a Comment