Thursday, January 2, 2014

Renewing Your Mind

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things." ~Paul

I revisit this exercise at least once a year because no other verse has given me more peace over the years than this one. I am free to think about anything I want so instead of dwelling on the dark things and circumstances in life, I can choose to see and meditate on the good things. When I stumbled upon this verse in Philippians years ago, I began to apply it to my family.

I wrote down the words; true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy in a notebook. Then, I began by applying the words to myself. What is a true statement about myself? The Holy Spirit whispered, "I love you!" Honestly, I giggled as words Jesus had spoken danced out of my memory and although I was alone, I'm sure I blushed. After each answer, I would thank the Lord for providing the answers and for the answers themselves.

My husband was next and each of my children. By practicing retraining my thought-life on myself, I had begun to think about them through these lenses of peace. I found myself filled with joy and inexplicable wonder. I challenge anyone who reads this to do this exercise this month. May the love and peace of God guard your homes, hearts and minds!

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." ~Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment